Wilson’s Creek visitor center reopens with fanfare

By: 
Steve Chapman

Officials prepare to cut a ribbon to mark the reopening of the Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield Visitor Center and Museum. From left: Darren Vermillion, park employee; Sarah Cunningham, park superintendent; Crystal Sharp, vice-president of Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield Foundation; Congressman Billy Long; Senator Roy Blunt; Kevin Kissling, president and CEO of Eastern National; Mike Ward, National Park Service deputy director and Connie Langum, park employee.
(Photo by Steve Chapman)

Following extensive $3.5 million renovation, federal facility hosts ribbon cutting event
 
The National Park Service celebrated the reopening of the Wilson’s Creek National Battlefield Visitor Center and Museum with a ribbon cutting ceremony on Friday, May 28. The ceremony included speeches from Senator Roy Blunt, Congressman Billy Long and other officials, as well as a performance of “America the Beautiful” and a cannon-firing demonstration.
Long said he was pleased to be part of the ceremony.
“It’s a great honor to be out here today, and it’s a fabulous facility,” he said. “I’m so excited for the area; they’ve added to their collections and they’re bringing more collections back. They’ve had a lot of these good collections in storage up in Kansas City ever since they started the renovation, which, of course, started under Ted Hillmer, the former superintendent who we worked closely with for years.      
I’ve worked with Senator Blunt for years on things out here in the battlefield, and (I’m) just so excited to see such a great venue open up for everyone to come out here and enjoy.”
Blunt said the park was the location of an important chapter of American history.
“This battle really is the place where the Civil War starts,” he said. “It’s the second big battle in the war. You’ve got thousands of people out here with weapons who have very little idea of what they’re doing, and we just somehow move forward and go through almost five years of that tragedy of the war, and part of that story is well covered right here.”
The visitor center was renovated as part of a $3.5 million project which opened up an additional 1,800 square feet of exhibit space in the building and added new displays, including a collection of edged weapons, the “Lyon bed,” where General Nathaniel Lyon’s body was laid after he was killed during the battle, several audio and visual presentations and a display of a cannon crew. According to a press release from the National Park Service, other improvements to the facility include a new HVAC system and a redesign of the bookstore, information desk and restrooms.
Former Wilson’s Creek Superintendent Ted Hillmer, under whom the project began, said he was pleased with the changes to the visitor center, especially with the new displays of artifacts which were previously kept in storage.
“It’s great to have all the artifacts where you can see them,” he said. “That’s the best part.”
Park Superintendent Sarah Cunningham said she believed visitors to the park would like the new displays.
“I think people are going to enjoy it immensely,” she said. “We’ve got a little bit of something for everyone. We have videos that show artillery-firing demonstrations; we have another that focuses on transportation of artillery. We (also) have this amazing sit screen video array that features direct photographs, and a touchscreen map program … that features 1860 census
data.”
Cunningham also said she was happy that the visitor center was again open to the public.
“We are so excited to have visitors back and can’t wait for them to see the artifacts that are the tangible reminders of the past,” she said.         

Category:

Lawrence County Record

312 S. Hickory St.
Mt. Vernon, MO, 65712
www.lawrencecountyrecord.com

Facebook

Please Login for Premium Content